Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Stepping stones

"Orange poppy" 7.5x7.5"
These little paintings are great to do as "warm-ups"..a way
to get lots of color down and be loose. As artists we don't
practice enough and always want to sit down (or stand up)
at the easel (or table, or floor..or...) and create that masterpiece.
Not that there is anything wrong with that...but having a fair
share of "exercises", "bloopers" and "flops" makes us who we are
and when those paintings finally do come out as masterpieces we
should thank our "stepping stones".

5 comments:

sue said...

Well, let's just say, yours are pretty nice stepping stones! Love the rich color.

Cynthia said...

WOW,,,,,great example. We always do warmups and little examples before we paint....

Mary Paquet said...

I love this one -- so lively. I've been looking through all my stepping stones as I prepare for Open Studios. You are right about putting in the time, like anything you want to master; you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince. However, Annelein, all your work is lovely.

cathyswatercolors said...

Great advice, all of my paintings fall into the practice group.
I can't wait to hear about your watercolor workshop????

christine said...

Annelein, this hardly looks like a 'warm-up' to me! I love the looseness and spontaneity in this cheery orange poppy.