Friday, April 17, 2009

Sunstreaked

"Sunstreaked" 15x22"
This piece is several years old, but I think it really shows
how I like to paint. I sometimes veer away from this drippy
negative painting style...but hopefully to always return to it.
This painting was started with random really loose and washy
"splotches" of yellow, just running a large brush over the paper
in several different places. While it was drying I dropped some
other pigment in a couple areas, like greens and blues..then had
to be patient for everything to dry completely. I sketched out my
design on that and developed the painting in gradual stages of
progressive washes, "carving" out the petals, stalks and leaves.

4 comments:

Angela said...

This is really beautiful.

Arcobaleno said...

Ciao! I am italian artist of Rome, I see your blog and I like your watercolors... really beautiful!!!^___^

Cynthia said...

Well between this negative style and your roooooosters....Wow,,,
what an inspiration!!!

A Brush with Color said...

I do love the negative painting--it's sort of a zen thing--you're so good at it!