Tuesday, November 24, 2009

journal brand

I was asked in a comment the other day what type of sketchbook I use...it's a square Holbein, spiral bound sketchbook. I have made my own as well..that's especially handy if you just adore a particular paper and want a specific size. I cut the paper to size and make a cover and back cover out of matboard. Then I take the bundle to a local copy store that does bindings and voila...a custom sketchbook. Make sure that they can handle a certain thickness to punch the binding through. You can then collage your covers or if you use a lighter colored matboard, paint right on there!

4 comments:

Barbra Joan said...

Yes, I've made my own also, and do a cover and back, whats really nice is that you can use the paper you like and the size you want... I've never had it bound at the store though, I like that.

A Brush with Color said...

I love the notion of a square sketchbook. This is lovely.

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh my goodness! I would so love to own this back yard with that fabulous view! I just love tiger lilies. A beautiful painting!

plaid petunia said...

I have been enjoying making my own watercolor journals for about a year now. I find it as rewarding as the painting that goes in them. I had someone want to buy my, but I think it is priceless.

I have painted on mat board but not on a journal cover. Thanks for the idea.