Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Sun Giants"

Another sunflower posting to try to address the negative painting question I was asked yesterday. "Any tips on how to paint negatively?" It's a bit of backwards thinking and you definitely have to have dry, dry, dry paper to get the hard edges. It's a progressive "veiling" of consecutively darker washes (which again, have to dry in between layers). I always recommend in my workshops to restate your lines with a pencil and sometimes even putting an X in the space/shape you wish to paint around. Basically negative painting is painting around a shape and developing a background which is darker than the foreground.

5 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips. Love your sunflowers. Mine come out stiff-looking.

AK said...

this is classic. Will have to ry out negative painting. Thanks for the tips.

Cynthia said...

This is gorgeous! I like the way you explain negative painting too.

Autumn Leaves said...

Beautiful giants! Truly stunning, Annelein. I feel I keep using the same adjectives, but I am just repeatedly blown away by your pieces.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

This painting is breathtaking!