Friday, March 13, 2009

Shades of Poppy

"shades of poppy" 7.5" x 7.5"
I'll round out the week with another poppy. I try very
hard to paint my poppies with a variety of colors. It's easy
to get caught up in thinking a flower is a particular color. I
like to push those limits by adding additional colors that might
not be in the actual flower, but make the subject a little more
interesting. We like variety and painting a solid red or orange
poppy would not be so compelling, but throw in some yellows,
purples, alizarin, vermillion, scarlet, violet, rose...you get the picture.

6 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

This is gorgeous. Poppies can be so hard to pull off but this painting really captures their essence perfectly. Love it!

jgr said...

I agree with Sandy, you have totally captured it and I love the beautiful colors you added!

A Brush with Color said...

Beautiful! I love poppies. Your websites look fabulous, Annelein, and your newest oils are amazing--especially since you're new to oils.

laura said...

So beautiful--it's almost like stained glass, but so much more supple! Your poppies are always amazing.
And thanks for the reminder to add other colors!!

Unknown said...

Annelein, I just found you blog through Art With Liz and feel like I have discovered a gold mine of beautiful colors! Your work is just amazing. You have such a talent with color. I have clicked the follow button thingy so I can see your new works. Good luck with your upcoming workshop!

r garriott said...

Isn't this stunning. Would love to see it about 4 foot across, too (tricky in WC, I guess).