Thursday, February 5, 2009

Blue silos

I thought I'd post this right after yesterday's image, because
I wanted you to see the difference in the blues I used for the sky.
It's probably hard to tell on all the different computer monitors,
but maybe the subtleties will come through. This blue is Verditer
blue by Holbein. It almost has a lavender feel to it. It seems warmer
than yesterday's blue..which has a distinct "cold" winter feel to it.
It has been great conducting these experiments...all these tubes of
paint and so easy to get stuck in the "always use the same colors rut".

4 comments:

A Brush with Color said...

I love this one, Annelein! The other is pretty too, but almost cerulean looking compared to this. Lovely! These are both beautiful.

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful painting - I didn't realize how warm this was until I scrolled down to see the previous painting. I have verditer by Daniel Smith - it has white in it so it's opaque but a very nice blue.

theresamillerwatercolors said...

i love both paintings, what a beautiful way to render the cold winter sky!

Mary Paquet said...

Just got back from a lengthy time visiting South America and I'm trying to catch up with all the creative work done on my favorite blogs.

I love this painting. Originally a native Vermonter, I can spot a Vermont winter scene from miles away! This one says "Vermont" beautifully!